Day 13 in Berea was slightly better for the offense than Sunday but was still dominated by the defensive side of the football. There was also a shake up at the back end of the quarterback room. Here are some notes from Browns practice.
Johnny Manziel got the reps with the first-team offense today and it certainly was not his best day. The receiving corps dropped a ton of passes but Manziel was still a little shaky with the new plays that have been installed.
- Brian Hoyer, who took the second-team offensive reps, was not better. He had some really poor throws and was picked off multiple times.
- The Browns signed Rex Grossman and cut Tyler Thigpen today. While Grossman did not practice, he was on the sidelines watching and spoke with the media after. He hopes to play next Monday against Washington and shuns any notion that he is simply a personal tutor for Manziel.
- Joe Haden is having his best camp as a Cleveland Browns player if you can believe it. Each year it’s tough to imagine him improving but he does. He picked off a Manziel pass which was completed to Anthony Armstrong but Haden went over the top of him and ripped it out of his hands. He also picked off Hoyer early in practice and then won the competition period for the defense. On a 4th & 1 the offense tried an end-around play to Miles Austin and Haden undercut him a yard short of the first down marker.
- Fullback Ray Agnew once again stood out in practice. When the Browns unveiled their second depth chart this morning it had him as the lone fullback on the roster. MarQueis Gray was moved back to tight end. He took reps with the first team and made some punishing blocks as he has throughout the entire camp. He is a rookie to keep an eye on.
- Josh Gordon (abdominal), Desmond Bryant (scheduled day off), Nate Burleson (hamstring) and Billy Winn (abdomen) all sat out of practice in Berea while safety TaShaun Gipson returned to team drills today.